As the summer begins, we are all planning our vacations and road trips. We thought it would be fun to share our favorite spots, memories, and fun facts about how the kitties travel.
- Where were you born?
- What is your favorite vacation spot?
- What do you collect to remember your trips? Magnets, shot glasses, t-shirts?
- Have you been abroad?
- Money is no object, what is your dream vacation?
- What is your worst travel experience?
- What is your car snack?
- Describe your favorite place to dine. Fancy dinner? Big pancake house breakfast?
- How do you pack? Do you take your whole closet? Make a list? Throw everything into a bag last minute?
- Memphis, TN
- Jekyll Island – that’s where I got married and I love the beaches filled with driftwood.
- Christmas ornaments – my favorite is an Elvis from when we visited my Dad in TN and went to Graceland.
- Yes – Larry (my husband) & I went on a cruise to the Bahamas.
- I want to hike the Appalachian Trail!
- I snuck out of the house with my then-boyfriend and headed down to Savannah. As soon as we arrived, we got in a car accident and totaled his car. We had to take the bus 4 hours to get home and, little did we know, there is a huge prison in Savannah and the bus is the main means for the newly released inmates to get home. So, yeah, correction, we took the prison bus home.
- Sweet & spicy jerky
- I love restaurants that are in the hotels. Who doesn’t love walking down in your jammies to get breakfast?
- I pack like 2 weeks in advance. I make a list of all the things I need and pack very neatly. I also pack Larry’s suitcase or he would end up with 1 pair of underwear and some flip flops.
- Voorhees, NJ
- Tybee Island or a cabin in Blue Ridge Mountains but there must be a hot tub.
- Christmas ornaments – this collection started by chance when I found a chintzy trolley in a tiny shop when Josh (my husband) and I visit San Francisco. It was cheap but is now priceless!
- I would take a month long tour of Japan. I’d eat all the ramen and visit Sanrio Puroland, of course.
- Josh and I took a trip to Destin and we were so excited. We checked in, threw on our swimsuits, headed straight for the beach, AAAND it was algae season. The ocean felt like soup and our dreamy, clear water vacation was ruined by nature. Thanks for that.
- Pizza flavored Pringles
- I love to binge on seafood at The Crab Shack in Tybee Island. They have huge crab legs, trash cans in the tables for your shells, cats for you to give table scraps, an alligator to feed, and a bird sanctuary. It’s an oddly wonderful place!
- I am a list maker and very tidy packer! I know exactly how many skirts, tops, shoes, and most importantly, how much hair product I’ll need to keep my wonder-bangs tamed.
- Calais, Maine
- Paris – David (my husband) and I have been separately but hope to go together someday soon.
- Mugs – I recently broke David’s mug from the Spy Museum in DC and he was crushed, no pun intended.
- Yes – I’ve been to Paris, rural England, Canada, Berlin, and Mexico
- I would definitely rent a castle in Spain or the small town where my family is from in Greece.
- I was going home from Maine to Massachusetts after Thanksgiving in a car I recently purchased. It finally warmed up enough in my car so I pulled over to take off my parka and accidentally hit the outside lock button with my elbow. On a low-traffic area, I waited for hours until a fish & wildlife truck pulled over, gave me an ax to break my back window, and unlocked the doors. The main even covered the broken window with a beautiful piece of leather that I still have!
- Salt & vinegar chips & iced coffee
- I love a local bakery! Nothing beats fresh pastries & doughnuts.
- I pack very light because I hate checking bags. I have traveled a lot in the past so I have it down to a science and can pack at a moments notice!
- Annapolis, Maryland
- Navarre, FL – my sister got married there in 2012 and I loved the clear water, amazing shells, and quiet beaches.
- I love those silly turtle-looking guys that are made of shells!
- Yes, I’ve been to Canada for about 3 hours to enjoy some Canadian beer.
- A wildlife safari in Australia! I love animals, nature, and Aussie’s seem so friendly! Also, the make the best hair products for curly hair 🙂
- When we lived in NC, we would visit my Grandma in MD often. We had a lovely olive green station wagon, lovingly named the Shaggin’ Wagon, with one of those luggage racks on the top. That rack would whistle the ENTIRE way there. My mom let us try to deter the whistling by jamming napkins in the racks – it would work for about 10 minutes and we would screech with excitement until we hit about 60 mph and the napkins flew out.
- Bullseyes & Vanilla Coke
- River City Cafe – it’s a beach burger joint that has amazing onion rings!
- I’m a list maker and risk taker. I make my list weeks in advance but when it comes down to actually packing I think, “I have a list so it will only take a minute.” and procrastinate until the night before.
Kinsey, our newest Kitty – portrait in the works
- Atlanta, GA
- Destin, FL – I have gone there basically every year of my life but I recently got engaged and, Naaman is not a beach boy so that location may change.
- Teddy bears or other stuffed animals with the location sewn on them
- No, the furthest I have ever been from Georgia is Virginia.
- Ireland – both my parents are full Irish so I would love to rent a castle and get to know my people!
- On our annual trip to Destin when I was 10, I got ridiculously sunburned the first night we were there. We have a dinner cruise planned for the next day so I had to miserably mist myself with a spray bottle to try to cool off.
- Pure Leaf extra sweet tea and Trolly sour gummy worms
- The Back Porch – I would eat crab legs every night in Destin but I don’t want my parents to go broke!
- I am a roller – I make a list but wait until the night before.
- Dupont State Forest in North Carolina
- Glazed mugs from local artists
- Yes, I’ve been to Ireland!
- Yellowstone or Italy, of course!
- When in Ireland, I was really sick with a terrible sinus infection. I went to the doctor but he didn’t feel I was sick enough to be treated so I had to suffer through not tasting any food or drink for two whole weeks! Luckily I found another, extremely attractive doctor to prescribe some pseudoephedrine to clear me up!
- Iced coffee, gummy bears, and peach rings
- If it’s a road trip, Cracker Barrel is a must – buttermilk pancakes, coffee, and a candy refill from their country store!
- I roll everything up the night before. I only pack exactly what I need – this girl does not check bags.
- All of them! Maybe a tie between Hawaii & Tuscany.
- I like to collect local artwork. I am also collects stamps for my National Park passport – I hope to visit a national park from every state!
- Yes – France, Germany, Italy, Bahamas, and Mexico.
- New Zealand – I would eat, drink, hike, repeat.
- My husband, Toby, and I booked a fantastic trip to St. Lucia. We were so excited until, about 3 weeks before our departure, a hurricane slammed the island. We thought, ‘No big deal, we bought trip insurance.’ Much to our dismay, the fine print only covered storms with 2 weeks of travel and, though there was no power or water to half the island and the state department issued a travel advisory against going there, we only recovered a small portion of our all-inclusive prepaid trip. So, that’s how we paid a lot of money to NOT travel to St. Lucia.
- Trail mix & a Diet Coke
- Pubs! I always look for a local microbrewery and there is usually good food to accompany good beer.
- I am a planner. I make a list which I edit as the trip gets closer. I am a fairly seasoned traveler so I have mastered the art of packing light. I once spend 10 days traveling through Italy with only a small carry-on and a backpack.
- Gainesville, FL
- Sanibel Island, FL – my family goes every year
- Sunburns & freckles 😉
- Yes – London, Paris, and a few cities in Spain
- If money and laws were no object, I would travel all over Europe and get access to all the forbidden preserved historical sites that I want. Medieval castles, burial sites, Ice Age cave dwellings, etc.
- On my last say in Spain, I went to a beautiful beach in Valencia. It was such a perfect day – so breezy and temperate that I didn’t put on sunscreen. My ex-boyfriend and I were both SEVERELY burn and had a 12 hour plane ride the next morning…to Sanibel Island…covered in blisters. My back has been freckled ever since.
- Corn Nuts
- When we go to Sanibel, we always eat at Cheeburger, Cheeburger – it’s a rule!
- I shove everything in a bag or a laundry basket an hour before I leave and then have to buy all the stuff I forget when I get there.
- New London, CT
- Costa Rica – Dan & I took the most amazing trip! No problems during travel, the hotel was incredible, and we fed monkeys off our balcony.
- I…don’t collect anything. Pictures, maybe? If I buy anything tourist-y, it’s usually a postcard.
- I would like to travel more abroad but, so far, I’ve been to the Mexican Riviera and Costa Rica.
- I would travel to any hotel with room service. Alone. With all the yarn I could carry. And I wouldn’t say no to adult beverages!
- I hesitate to call it a worst travel memory because we still had a really fun time, but, during college a friend and I decided to road trip from CT to Williamsburg, VA to go to Busch Gardens in July. We were poor college students, so our “lodging” was a two-person tent in a campground. The weekend was one of the hottest on record – we were hanging out at the local Wal-Mart to cool off, and it was so hot in that tent that on the day we were leaving, we ended up giving up on ever sleeping in the heat and leaving for home at 3:30 AM. Which was a good thing, because later in the day, after we were home, it was so hot that the NJ turnpike buckled and backed up traffic for hours.
- Cheddar cheese pretzel Combos & a Cherry Coke Zero
- After a great deal of experimentation, I have determined the fastest way to deal with our family of four on road trips is Cracker Barrel. Plus you get that hash brown casserole as a bonus. When we’re actually at our destination, I will basically eat at a seafood shack for every meal if my companions allow it.
- I like to pack as light as possible, but I do make a list. Otherwise, I end up forgetting something important, like phone chargers or, once, underwear (yes, actually. I was stunned too).
Feel free to share your traveling experiences with us below. What do you collect? Where are you traveling this summer? What knitting are you bringing?
Where were you born? Sunnyvale
What is your favorite vacation spot? Scotland
What do you collect to remember your trips? Yarn!
Have you been abroad? Canada, England, Scotland, Wales, France, Finland, Germany, Russia, Japan, South Korea, Australia, Samoa, Ecuador, and the republic of Marshall Islands
Money is no object, what is your dream vacation? Caravan around Britain with the kids and hubby for at least a year
What is your worst travel experience? Probably sock summit 2011 when I was going to sleep in my car but it was too hot so I did air bnb and ended up in an attic room of some dudes house, rented to all dudes and the toilet looked like all dudes lived there…
What is your car snack? What isn’t a car snack, lol
Describe your favorite place to dine. I love beach picnics with wine, crackers, cheese, meat, olives, etc. I’m guessing we’re about 7 years from being able to do that again!
How do you pack? Do you take your whole closet? Make a list? Throw everything into a bag last minute? I make a list and then pack at the last minute! I take too much stuff; I need to learn to minimize!!!
Where were you born? Albany, GA
What is your favorite vacation spot? TIE between Anacortes, WA, St. Simons Island, GA, and anywhere on the Dingle Peninsula of West Ireland
What do you collect to remember your trips? Magnets, shot glasses, t-shirts? Magnets, hats, and yarn, of course! (I put the zaniest hats I can find on antique wig stands and hide them in every our of the way place I can think of!)
Have you been abroad? Many times – I’m a military brat and I went to graduate school in Italy and England. I went to four kindergartens in 3 states on 2 continents!
Money is no object, what is your dream vacation? The Isle of Capri, then a week in Rome followed by a month in the central part of Firenze, preferably Ognissanti Square.
What is your worst travel experience?
What is your car snack? I make a trail mix of peanuts, M & Ms, Frosted Mini Wheats, Goldfish, and butter flavored pretzels.
Describe your favorite place to dine. Fancy dinner? Big pancake house breakfast? I love great food in fantastic decor, but I hate pretentious cuisine, the kind that you feel like you have to dress up and get jewelry out of the bank in order to get three bites of food, artistically arranged via color wheel described in unpronounceable words. And the only things I can’t eat are onions and peppers.
How do you pack? Do you take your whole closet? Make a list? Throw everything into a bag last minute? I pack the big stuff like clothes a few weeks early and I have a toiletry bag prepacked and ready at all times (I have to travel quite frequently and on short notice). Then at the last minute, I throw in every single thing that isn’t nailed down!
And then there’s the yarn……!
Where were you born? Madrid
What is your favorite vacation spot? South Carolina
What do you collect to remember your trips? t shirts
Have you been abroad? Italy and Spain
Money is no object, what is your dream vacation? The Maldives
What is your worst travel experience? Rome
What is your car snack? Pecan Pinwheels
Describe your favorite place to dine Local spots
How do you pack? Do you take your whole closet? Make a list? I keep it casual and bring a dress just in case